San Diego Born & Raised: Shop Fresh, Buy Local
Did you know that San Diego County has 6,687 farms, more than any other county in the United States? San Diego County also has the largest community of organic growers in the state and nation, with 374 farms growing more than 175 crops.
With the Farm to Institution program, access to healthy foods for students is increased, as we get more local, fresh produce in school meals. These initiatives ultimately bring more buying power to the consumer. If food is transported a long distance, it loses its flavor and has fewer nutrients. The closer the food is grown, the better it is for all of us. We support our local farmers, who grow fresh produce that is "San Diego Born & Raised."
Let's continue improving our local food system in San Diego County.
RFP 5472 Healthy Foods Technical Resource Library
- Module 1 – Orientation
- Module 3 – Social Determinants of Health
- Module 5 – Healthy Food Systems
- Module 6 - Land Use and Community Planning
- Module 7 – Leadership, Advocacy & Policy Development
- Module 8 – Community Improvement Project Needs & Opportunity Assessment